Monday, June 30, 2008

Week 2 Summer Challenge

Happy July!!!! (tomorrow) I hope you are all having an awesome summer! I know I have been enjoying the recent sunshine and warm weather! A big thank you and great job to Bobby for emailing me his weather poem from last week's blog challenge! Good job Bobby! Read his weather poem below:

 storms,hail,rain
thunder&lightning crack, boom with sunny days
what bizarre weather 

*Your writing challenge for this week is to think about what the 4th of July means to you and your family. Write and tell me what your family does over the 4th of July and any traditions you may have. 

If that doesn't sound interesting to you, try and finish this prompt...
"I was watching the beautiful fireworks shooting in the sky when all of a sudden one exploded in the air. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what came falling down from the sky...

*I challenge you to head out with mom and dad or an adult and go shopping! Shopping doesn't have to be at Barnes and Noble or Borders...but rather a garage sale! Try and find a new book that interests you to read, at a garage sale around your neighborhood! Tell me what treasures you find! If your neighborhood is past their garage sales, head to the public library and check out a new book to read for July! 

*Here are a few math problems to challenge your brain this week:

1. Hickory, dickory, dock, a mouse has messed up the clock. Something, at least, has messed up the old alarm clock in Randy’s bedroom. Sometimes it runs backward, with the hands moving counter-clockwise.

When Randy looked at the clock yesterday morning, it showed a quarter to 10. It then ran backward for 14 hours, 6 minutes, and then forward for 5 hours, 53 minutes, and finally backward again for 10 hours, 41 minutes.

Randy’s clock is a standard 12-hour analog clock.

What time will the clock now show?


 
 

2. Mariah was cleaning out her purse and found a handful of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. She found 16 coins in all.

She had:

  • the same number of nickels as pennies.
  • $1.00 in quarters.
  • 2 more dimes than quarters.

Use this information and the following U.S. coin values to answer the question below.

  • 5 pennies = 5 cents, or 1 nickel
  • 2 nickels = 10 cents, or 1 dime
  • 5 nickels = 25 cents, or 1 quarter
  • 4 quarters = 100 cents, or 1 dollar, written $1.00

How much money did she find in all?

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend! E-mail or leave a comment on your responses to this week's post! 

Ms. B. :) 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am getting a blog soon.


mallory

Anonymous said...

Ms.Boyer

My neighbors usally set off small fireworks in the street and we watch them. And we usally go visit my grandparents!

Anonymous said...

ms.boyer please dont make me shop! I hate shopping!

Carolyn said...

You have to post something Ms. Boyer!!! You haven't posted anything since the 1st of July!

Moll Doll's Blog said...

Ms.Boyer [please write more it's August now and summers over and it's still the challenge #2